Thursday, December 9, 2010

Book Review - The Wednesday Letters

The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

Since the back cover SAYS they die, I won't be giving anything away when I tell you that the first chapter involves the death of the two parents, who die in each others arms. Sad. And enough to make me not want to read any more. I'm glad I kept going.

The rest of the book (except the last chapter) covers the few days between their death and the funeral. I will admit to shedding a tear or two, even though this was not one of those books that just drove me over the edge into a sobbing mess. It was very solid and very enjoyable. Now I want to tell John to go write me a letter every week for the rest of our lives, but that will probably not happen. This was a very quick read and I think I read the majority of the book in a single day. Once the children discover the letters, my reading really picked up. The letters ranged from simple little notes to revelations of all sorts, some of which are quite surprising and some which are shocking. It really makes me wonder how much of my own parent's lives that I have NO CLUE about. I'm sure there is probably a great deal. I recommend this book.

My next review will probably be darker fare. I've read too many feel-goods lately!

And could I use the word "probably" any more?? Probably.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sounds very interesting. I might pick it up. Im sooo not a reader but I have always wanted to be. I just have a very short attention span.