Thursday, December 23, 2010

Book Review - Body Double

Body Double by Tess Gerritsen

I believe at the end of my last review I mentioned I was going for darker fare next time. This book does indeed meet that description. This is the fourth book written by Tess Gerritsen I have read, also billed as the fourth book in the Rizzoli & Isles series. This past summer, TNT started a new drama series called Rizzoli & Isles which I watched and enjoyed. Not until I did some browsing on their website did I realize that the show was based on a series of books. Naturally, I had to start reading them.

There are so many "spoilers" I could give away in reviewing this book, but I will try not to do that. While not everything in the book came as a surprise (the jacket cover tells you that the dead woman is Dr. Isles' twin sister), there were several times that a twist caught me off guard and it wasn't until the end that I discovered I was wrong about who the killer was. I LOVE it when I'm wrong about who the killer is. There was also more than one storyline going on here, sort of, and getting caught up in one made me forget about the other for a time. That's not a complaint, because when it came back up it was kind of thrilling to have one more mystery that had to be solved before the book could end. This is very good thriller/mystery and I highly recommend it. Unless you're pregnant. DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IF YOU ARE PREGNANT. Trust me on it. You won't rest easy if you disregard my warning.

Several of the book storylines have been covered in the TV series, and while this book deals with Maura's parentage and so did one of the shows, it is not nearly the same. Even so, that episode was called "The Beast in Me" which is a huge nod to the book.

If you enjoy thrillers, you might want to give this series a try. If you're more of a TV-watching sort, I think the last four episodes are still on TNT's website for viewing. The second season starts next summer.

No comments: